The Tragedy of Steve & the Miracle of Henry.

When I moved into my apartment, it was in a sad state of affairs. Tron and I triumphantly threw open the door to my new apartment to find...

  • Crusty marinara sauce on the stove
  • DIRTY SOCKS in the hutch
  • Old food in the refrigerator
  • Foot steps on the counter top (yes, of dirt)
  • Those little pieces of carpet they leave after installing new carpet, yeah those were gathering troops to completely take over the apartment. Everywhere you looked, they they were.
  • An old bathmat in the top of my closet (crusty chunks of hair and all)
  • A toilet that would not flush properly
  • Someone's personal belongings strewn around my room (including bills, IRS records, journals, pictures)
  • A FISH. A pretty Beta fish in water that had not been changed in so long it looked like strawberry jam.
 So, I did what any self-respecting adult woman would do after driving for thirteen hours and brimming with excitement to throw open that door, I started to cry.  Panic mode kicked in.  Tron kindly guided me to the couch, sat me down and was incredibly kind as he helped me understand that everything would be okay.

It was too soon to blog about it until now.  It is still a little soon to talk about it....

But, anyways.  Back to the matter at hand.  I fell in love with Steve. Steve was the poor Beta fish that was left in the apartment.  We cleaned his bowl. We fed him.  Loved him. Talked to him. Cared for him.

Then, the girl that left her stuff came back and promptly set her eyes on Steve and squealed, "SULLY!". Ran to his bowl and swooped him up. 

Luckily, I was not there. There would have been no swooping if I was there (I am much bigger than her).

So, my roommate called me and let me know that Steve was gone. I was driving with Tron when I got the phone call.  I cried. (Of course).  Tron turned to me and said, "Well, he was her fish."

...........................................................................

It was a quiet drive after that. But, he was right.

It was also to soon to talk about this, until now.

Enter, HENRY! Tron, being incredibly thoughtful and sweet and kind bought be a fish for my birthday.  He is adorable.  His name is Henry and I love him. We are great friends. 

I will snap a picture of him sometime soon.  He's just a little guy but he is making quite a lovely home out of the vase on our kitchen table!!

No comments:

Post a Comment